eLearning books and resources
for the online educator
The following bibliography of resources
was inspired by and adapted from suggestions in the Linked-In discussion "Best book for beginning instructional designers" initiated by
If a title seems useful to you, you are encouraged to research reviews and outlets online:
as well as authors' own Websites.
Many "delivery" options are also available including
Googlebooks, Kindle, print paperback and hardcover editions.
- Allen, Michael. Design of E-Learning. Paperback (2007) (an annual series...)
- Allen, Michael, Michael Allen's (2002) Guide to E-Learning: Building Interactive, Fun, and Effective Learning Programs for Any Company John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Calfee, R. C., & Valencia, R. R. (1991). APA guide to preparing manuscripts for journal publication. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Carliner, Saul, Shank, Patti (2008) The E-Learning Handbook. A. Comprehensive Guide to Online Learning. Pfeiffer hardcover
- Carliner, Saul, Shank, Patti (2008) The E-Learning Handbook: Past Promises, Present Challenges Pfeiffer hardcover
- Clark, Ruth Colvin,Mayer, Richard E. (2007). e-Learning and the Science of Instruction: Proven Guidelines for Consumers and Designers of Multimedia Learning. Hardcover (2002) and Kindle (2007)
- Clark, Ruth C. Clark, Lyons, Chopeta (2010) Graphics for Learning: Proven Guidelines for Planning, Designing, and Evaluating Visuals in Training Materials
Pfeiffer Essential Resources for Training and HR
Professionals, hardcover Kindle, paperback
- Dick, Walter. Carey, Lou. Carey, James O. (2008) Systematic Design of Instruction, The,
Allyn & Bacon, book
- Fee, Kenneth (2009) Delivering E-Learning: A Complete Strategy for Design, Application and Assessment,
Kogan Page hardcover
- Hodell, Chuck. (2000) ISD: From the Ground Up A No-Nonsense Approach to Instructional Design "
American Society for Training & Development, paperback and
- Horton, William (2006) E-Learning by Design
John Wiley and Sons, Inc paperback
- Hunter, Dale, Bailey, Anne, Taylor, Bill
(1995) The art of facilitation: How to create group synergy,
- Leshin, Cynthia B. Pollock, Joellyn.
Reigeluth, Charles M. (1992) Instructional design strategies and tactics,
Educational Technology, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Mager, R.F. (1984). Preparing Instructional Objectives: A Critical Tool in the Development of Effective Instruction. Belmont, CA: David S. Lake.
- Shank, Patti, Sitze, Amy (2004) Making Sense of Online Learning: A Guide for Beginners and the Truly Skeptical.
- Shank, Patti, (2007) The Online Learning Idea Book: 95 Proven Ways to Enhance Technology-Based and Blended Learning.
- Smith, Patricia L. (2004), Instructional Design.Wiley/Jossey-Bass Education.
- Williams, Robin P. (2003) The Non-Designer's Design Book.
Learning Solutions Magazine
a publication of the eLearning Guild
The E-Learning Guild
"..the oldest and most trusted source of information,
networking, and community for e-Learning Professionals"
IT Training Magazine
"..he only UK magazine dedicated to the IT training
American Society of Training and Development
"world's largest association dedicated to workplace
learning and performance professionals"
Tech Trends Linking Research and Practice to Improve Learning
Association for Educational Communications and
"..a professional association of thousands of educators
and others whose activities are directed toward
improving instruction through technology."
"..a nonprofit association whose mission is to advance
higher education by promoting the intelligent use of
Society for Technology in Education
"..advances excellence in learning and teaching through
innovative and effective uses of technology."
Curricular guides and resources: